Tuesday, April 11, 2017

April

It has been a good month with two quilt finishes, Woo Hoo!

The first is the little quilt I have made for the annual doll quilt exchange hosted by Lori on the Humble Quilts blog. (humblequilts.blogspot.com)

I made a mini pyramid quilt with some of the smaller triangle sections from the Panama Pyramid quilt I am working on.

I really like this gold fabric for the background triangles and would probably use it for my big quilt if I could find more of it.

Same with the black print for the border but they were both pulled out of my stash and I can not even remember where either of the fabrics came from. I machine quilted the little quilt, it finished up at 14 X 16 inches.

Most of my sewing time this month was spent on machine quilting Rowdy Flat Library quilt.

I kept it simple, outlining all the appliques and walking foot lines in the border, sashing, and pieced blocks.

The background fill on the applique blocks is a meandering line with a few loops to represent all the bees and bugs flight paths.

I have a couple more applique blocks finished on Celebrating Mary Brown. I have been working on the four corner sections of the quilt.

 

Just to break up all the leaf applique in these corner sections I found a block in the quilt with some piecing:

I have been sort of dreading this block because I am not very successful at piecing diamonds and these pieces are small for this 10 inch block.

My friend Julie came up with the great idea of paper piecing this block with just eight large diamonds and some fussy cutting. I had a fabric in mind and made some templates.

Once I had a window template made I got out the hinged mirrors I have to see what different sections of the fabric would look like.

Lots of options with this fabric.

Once I decided which design I wanted I put some registration marks on the window template and marked the cutting lines on the fabric.

Now I have 8 large paper pieced diamonds ready to stitch together and then I will applique the star onto the background.

Happy Stitching all,

Cheri

 

6 comments:

  1. Wow Cheri these projects are all gorgeous! What a sweet doll quilt! I think your Rowdy Library turned out very well - simple quilting lets the fabrics and appliqué shine :0) and do they ever! I love your Mary Brown appliqué - the flowers are lovely. Good solution with the star - interesting to see some of the other options with your mirror - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on all the quilts....the machine quilting is wonderful....love the diamond/star...your patience to find the right layout was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always excited when I see a post from you because I know I'll see lots of fun sewing projects. Someone is going to be super excited with your doll quilt. It's a great way to make that pyramid pattern and keep it small. Congrats on quilting the Rowdy quilt. It looks great and then the diamonds will be fantastic using that striped fabric. It will be exciting to see what you choose when you fussy cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for the diamonds! Its going to be a wonderful block!
    Love your little quilt- the cheddar is perfect for your lovely pyramids.
    Yay! For quilting your Rowdy Flats- it looks amazing! I always enjoy seeing what you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea for the star block in Mary Brown. I have been dreading it and may copy what you did if you don’t mind. There are several blocks in this quilt that have me traumatized

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all you have done Cheri. Although we make similar quilts I haven't attempted Mary Brown. Its looking great and I love the star block. Your Rowdy Flat quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete